|Also known as||
Hitoshi Sugoroku (Younger Brother)
Hajime Sugoroku (双六一 Sugoroku Hajime) is a major supporting character of the anime and web manga series. He is one of the guards in charge of supervising Building 13 of Nanba Prison.
Hajime is a bald man with dark red eyes. Under his left eye is a cross shaped scar. He wears the standard Nanba Prison guard uniform, which consists of a black jacket with a white shirt and red tie; knee high black boots with red soles, a red belt with a gold buckle, white gloves, and a guard cap with the Nanba insignia and gold cording. The Nanba Prison uniform also includes a red armband with the number of the building he supervises, golden shoulder adornments, and gold bars on the collar of his shirt. Each sleeve of his jacket has two yellow lines, indicating that he is a supervisor. His name tag is pinned to his left breast.
Hajine is a stern, intimidating man who takes his job seriously. He's also a workaholic and hates it when he has to take days off. Despite this, he does go against the rules at times, such as not telling the warden about how the Cell 13 inmates constantly try to escape (as he doesn't want to lose his job or get demoted) or that he has a pet cat.
He often gets annoyed at the antics of the Cell 13 inmates, and will not hesitate to use force to return them to their cell.
When stressed he tends to become easily aggravated and gets stomach pains, most of which occurs from dealing with the Cell 13 inmates.
Hajime is a very short tempered man, often yelling at people who annoy him. However, when addressing his superiors, he displays a calm professional attitude. Though he does show a little leniency towards the Cell 13 inmates, he can be quite brutal to them when they go too far and admits he only sees them as 'shitty little brats' he needs to keep his eyes on. He's also very suspicious of Jyugo , Hajime holds him someone he needs to keep a careful eye on.
Describe background here.
Describe plot here.
The New Year's Tournament Arc
Building 5 Arc
- Sugoroku means "double six", Hajime means "one", 6+6+1=13, a heavy hinting that he is the supervisor of building 13, and especially on cell 13.
- He is often nicknamed "gorilla" by other guards and inmates.
- His favorite color is crimson.
- He is a black belt in judo.
- He likes Soba and cigarettes.
- He dislikes squid and salmon roe.
- His hobbies include shogi and motorcycles.
- He is a heavy smoker.
- According to the cell 13 inmates, he has no girlfriend.
- He has a master's teaching license in calligraphy.
- Hajime (はじめ) means "beginning". Used in Japanese traditional martial arts such as: karate, judo, aikido and kendo; it is a verbal command to "begin". The kanji “一” means “first” or “one,each; every,single; alone". Sugoroku is a traditional Japanese new year board game.
- Hajime has a fear of June bugs.