|Also known as||
Cat and Tamao
Orange (w/ tan highlights)
Mao Nimaijita (ニ舞下猫 Nimaijita Mao) is a supporting character of the anime and web manga series. He is the deputy supervising officer of Building 2, though in his first appearance is seen filling in for an absent Building 8 supervisor.
Mao wears a variation of the classic guard uniform, with subtle changes, such as the cat ears atop the hat and the specialized band around the arm. His eyes are seen as blue, and his hair is an orange color with streaks of tan.
Mao seems to be cynical, antagonizing Samon Gokuu and comparing him to his brother.
Describe background here.
Describe plot here.
- Mao means "Cat" in Chinese.
- His surname contains the kanji for "two," "Dance," and "Under," in that order.
- His being from Building 2, as well as bearing two tails, may be a reference to Nekomata, a cat demon in Japanese folklore that has two tails.
- He loves money. This may be a reference to Maneki-neko (beckoning cats), which are often seen holding a coin.
- It could also be a reference to the Japanese idiom "gold coins to a cat", which is equivalent to the English idiom "to cast pearls before swine", which means not to waste something on someone who doesn't understand it's value.
- His earrings resemble koban, which are ancient Japanese coins.
- Ni in his surname means "Two," referencing Building 2 of Nanba Prison.